Checklist For Elderly Living Alone
Keep The Home Well-Lit
A home with a lack of sufficient lighting will significantly increase the possibility of falls. Make sure to keep all staircases and walkways well-lit at all times. Installing nightlights throughout the house is a great solution. Wireless motion sensor lights can be installed near bedrooms and bathrooms, as well. Make sure the lighting you currently use is strong enough to keep your eyes from straining.
Remove Any Tripping Hazards
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that more than 9,000 seniors die every year from at-home falls. Minimize this risk by removing all loose objects from the floor. All cords and wires should be securely placed against walls. No rugs or carpets should be loose; they should all feature nonslip backing.
Fires are another risk that seniors have to deal with while living on their own. Start by placing a smoke detector and fire extinguisher on every floor. Test these regularly to ensure proper operation. Make sure all doors and windows are easy to open from the inside.
Fall Prevention Checklist
Falling and getting injured is one of the biggest concerns for an elderly person living alone. Use these tips for safety solutions:
- Put all frequently used items on lower shelves.
- Keep a sturdy stool in the kitchen at all times.
- Keep all walkways free of any furniture/objects.
- Secure all rugs/carpets with nonslip backing.
- Make sure no loose objects are on the floor.
- Keep all wires taped or coiled securely close to walls.
- Lighting needs to be within reach of the bed.
- Nightlights should keep pathway from bedroom to bathroom illuminated during the night.
- Install and use grab bars for bathtub/shower entry and exit.
- Tub/shower floor should feature nonstick rubber mats.
- Place grab bars around the toilet.
- Fix broken and/or uneven steps.
- Remove any loose objects from the staircase.
- Ensure staircase has sufficient lighting.
- Utilize handrails on both sides of the staircase.
- Have a light switch at the top and bottom of the stairs.
Retirement Communities In Arizona
With independent living communities all across the valley, SLS Communities offers the very best facilities and services for senior citizens. Independent communities are currently located in Sedona, Mesa, Peoria and Surprise, Arizona. Living options include studio, one and two-bedroom apartments, all inside relaxing, resort-style communities. Enjoy weekly trips to shopping, restaurants and entertainment centers. A wide range of activities will be sure to entice all residents, as well!
More Articles About Retirement
- Golf Clubs For Seniors
- Can I Retire At 60 With 500K
- What Is Dementia?
- How To Retire At 50
- Best Places To Retire in Arizona 2021
- Ten Early Signs and Symptoms of Alzheimer’s Disease
- Covid Vaccine Update: What Seniors Need To Know
- How To Save For Retirement Without A 401K
- Funny Quotes About Aging Gracefully
- Independent Living Benefits
- Strength Training For Older Adults
- Retiring In Arizona Pro’s and Con’s
- Physical Games For Seniors
- 12 Card Games For Senior Citizens
- Music Seniors Love
- Five Tips For Seniors In Arizona Summers
- Classic Movies Popular With Seniors
- Netflix Movies Popular With Seniors
- How Seniors Can Keep Healthy This Summer
- Video Games Seniors Like
- Eight Birthday Tips For Seniors In Assisted Living
- Mesa AZ Assisted Living Costs
- How Much Does Assisted Living Cost In Sun City, AZ
- Best Places To Retire in Arizona 2020
- Does Medicare Cover Assisted Living Costs?
- Coronavirus Advice For Seniors
- How Much Does Assisted Living Cost In Peoria, AZ?
- How Much Does Memory Care Cost In Arizona?
- Best Board Games For Seniors
- How Much Does Independent Senior Living Cost?
- Best TV Shows For Seniors With Alzheimers
- Books Popular With Seniors
- New Years Resolutions For Seniors
- Cost of Assisted Living in Phoenix Arizona
- Christmas Ideas In Assisted Living
- Great Jokes For Seniors
- Christmas Quotes For Seniors
- Birthday Quotes For Seniors
- National Senior Games Association
- New Grandparents Quotes
- Pets In Assisted Living
- Ten Fun Things To Do With Someone In Assisted Living
- Activities for Seniors
- Great Balance Exercises For Seniors
- What Are Some Benefits of Assisted Living?
- How To Find An Assisted Living Facility?
- How To Talk To A Parent With Dementia
- When Is the Right Time to Move From Assisted Living to Memory Care?
- Questions For Assisted Living Interviews
- Retirement Wishes for a Boss
- Funny Retirement Wishes For Coworkers & Colleagues
- Retirement Quotes, Wishes, Sayings
- Best Retirement Communities In Arizona 2018-2019
- Benefits Of Retiring In Arizona
- What is Independent Living?
- What Type Of Doctor Do I See For Memory Loss?
- Elderly Home Safety Checklist
- What To Do After Retirement | 19 Activities & Retirement Hobbies
- What’s The Best Way To Save For Retirement In Your 50s?
- Types Of Retirement Homes
- How To Move A Parent With Dementia To Assisted Living
- Best Retirement Communities For Active Adults
- Dealing With Aging Parents Depression
- Easy Crafts For Seniors With Dementia
- When Is It Time For Assisted Living?
- How Do You Talk To Someone With Dementia?
- Seven Stages Of Dementia
- Best Low Risk, High Return, Safe Investments For Seniors
- Do I Pay Taxes On Social Security After Age 66?
- Difference Between Assisted Living and Nursing Homes
- Do Seniors Pay Taxes On Social Security Income?
- Top 5 Retirement Communities in Arizona
- Funny Retirement Wishes For Colleagues
- Checklist For Assisted Living
Find Quality Assisted Living Care With SLS Communities
If you’re looking for the very best assisted living in Phoenix; SLS Communities can help! We have 5 locations in the Phoenix Valley that seniors and their families can choose from. With great amenities such as meticulously manicured landscaping, swimming pools, theater rooms, on-site salons, and much more! SLS Communities delivers today’s seniors the very best assisted living care services in the Phoenix, Arizona area.
Check out our locations below
For more information about assisted living and senior living services please call 480-348-0300.