Best Board Games For Seniors
- Cards: A deck of cards provides an array of games to enjoy, from Go Fish to poker and everything in-between. A standard deck offers 52 playing cards with four suites.
- Scrabble: Scrabble is a great game that requires critical thinking and blends it with the entertainment of a word puzzle. Enjoy the clack of tiles as you pass on your vocabulary to your grandchildren — and learn theirs. This game is especially fun for seniors who enjoy crossword puzzles and word searches.
- Chess and Checkers: Everyone has some experience with one or both of these games of wit. Chess and checkers are great games to play with the elderly. Both games are easy to learn and highlight creative problem-solving and strategy as fundamental portions of the game.
- Monopoly: This timeless board game of fast deals and property trading is a classic for sure at 8 years old, no matter what pieces are included now. The game has undergone minimal changes in its lifespan, with the most recent one ousting the boot, wheelbarrow and thimble for a T-Rex, rubber ducky and penguin. Remember fighting over the Scottie, hat, car, cat and battleship?
- Ticket to Ride: Ticket to Ride is an award-winning game where players collect color-coded cards to claim train routes and connect one city to another. The game features the competitive fun of Monopoly with simple rules that will have you chugging along to famous cities in the U.S. or across the country. Ticket to Ride uses replica maps of real countries, which can inspire memories of past travels.
- Suspend: Similar to Jenga, Suspend takes the same concept and replaces stacking blocks with a series of metal rods. This game is fun to play with the whole family and blends creative problem-solving and fine motor skills.
- Incan Gold: Take classic card games such as poker and blackjack, add Indiana Jones and you’ll get Incan Gold. Travel to an ancient temple and collect treasures along the way, but make sure you make your escape before traps close in on you. This luck-based game exercises creativity and critical problem-solving.
- Qwirkle: Qwirkle is a tile-placement game where players match colors and shapes, just like dominoes or Uno. The game uses pattern recognition, basic mathematics and strategy to exercise the brain, keeping it happy and healthy.
If you’re looking for the very best assisted living in Phoenix; SLS Communities can help! We have 5 locations in the Phoenix Valley that seniors and their families can choose from. With great amenities such as meticulously manicured landscaping, swimming pools, theater rooms, on-site salons, and much more! SLS Communities delivers today’s seniors the very best assisted living care services in the Phoenix, Arizona area.
Check out our locations below
For more information about assisted living and senior living services please call 480-348-0300.