7 Stages Of Lewy Body Dementia
One of the most common forms of dementia is Lewy body dementia. Early signs of this disease can easily be confused with Alzheimer’s or even schizophrenia, according to nia.nih.gov. LBD can either simply develop over time or in combination with several other brain disorders.
This progressive disease does take a long time for symptoms to develop and show. Typically, the time span from diagnosis to death is 5-8 years, but some studies have shown 2-20 years is a possible range, as well. Here are the seven stages of LBD:
Stage 1: Normal Behavior
Individuals entrenched in stage one of LBD will show little to no signs at all of the disease. You will see no dementia symptoms and there will be no impact on the individual’s life at this point.
Stage 2: Mild Changes
You may not be able to notice anything wrong during stage two of LBD. Memory issues may be ignored and passed off as a normal part of aging.
Stage 2 Signs:
- Some difficulty finding words.
- Normal functioning in and outside of the home.
- Ability to overcome memory problems like finding the right words eventually.
Stage 3: Mild Changes
This is generally the stage where slight changes may become noticeable. You can see changes in the individual’s thinking and reasoning, while also seeing some memory issues.
Stage 3 Signs:
- Moments of forgetfulness.
- Beginning to have problems at the workplace.
- Trouble paying attention.
- Difficulty finding words and/or names.
- Trouble managing money and remembering appointments.
Stage 4: Mild Dementia
Despite the mild dementia symptoms, your loved one should be able to remember past events, family members and friends.
Stage 4 Signs:
- Forgetting familiar names and/or items.
- Forgetting where they placed important items like a phone or wallet.
- Decreased knowledge of recent events.
- Mistakes while driving.
- Difficulty problem solving.
- Increased issues with money management.
- Issues with daily tasks.
Stage 5: Moderate To Severe Mental Decline
While your loved should still be able to recognize friends and family, they may have increased trouble remembering past events. At this point they may need help performing routine daily tasks.
Stage 5 Signs:
- Personality changes and mood swings.
- Repeat same questions or thoughts.
- Memory gaps.
- Need assistance while eating or using the bathroom.
- Bladder problems.
Stage 6: Severe Mental Decline
The memory of the individual will really start to fade in stage 6. This may be the time to consider hiring someone for 24-hour at-home care.
Stage 6 Signs:
- Strong mood swings and obvious personality changes.
- Different eating habits.
- Getting lost.
- More bladder problems.
- Difficulty speaking in general.
- Lack of awareness.
Stage 7: Severe Dementia
The individual will no longer recognize loved ones. 24-hour care is a necessity during this final stage of LBD.
Stage 7 Signs:
- Loss of ability to eat, swallow and speak.
- Not able to use bathroom without assistance.
- No muscle control.
- Always disoriented.
- Loss of bladder/bowel control.
- May need to stay in bed constantly.
Retirement Communities In Arizona
With independent living communities all across the valley, SLS Communities offers the very best facilities and services for senior citizens. Independent communities are currently located in Sedona, Mesa, Peoria and Surprise, Arizona. Living options include studio, one and two-bedroom apartments, all inside relaxing, resort-style communities. Enjoy weekly trips to shopping, restaurants and entertainment centers. A wide range of activities will be sure to entice all residents, as well!
More Articles About Retirement
- Golf Clubs For Seniors
- Can I Retire At 60 With 500K
- What Is Dementia?
- How To Retire At 50
- Best Places To Retire in Arizona 2021
- Ten Early Signs and Symptoms of Alzheimer’s Disease
- Covid Vaccine Update: What Seniors Need To Know
- How To Save For Retirement Without A 401K
- Funny Quotes About Aging Gracefully
- Independent Living Benefits
- Strength Training For Older Adults
- Retiring In Arizona Pro’s and Con’s
- Physical Games For Seniors
- 12 Card Games For Senior Citizens
- Music Seniors Love
- Five Tips For Seniors In Arizona Summers
- Classic Movies Popular With Seniors
- Netflix Movies Popular With Seniors
- How Seniors Can Keep Healthy This Summer
- Video Games Seniors Like
- Eight Birthday Tips For Seniors In Assisted Living
- Mesa AZ Assisted Living Costs
- How Much Does Assisted Living Cost In Sun City, AZ
- Best Places To Retire in Arizona 2020
- Does Medicare Cover Assisted Living Costs?
- Coronavirus Advice For Seniors
- How Much Does Assisted Living Cost In Peoria, AZ?
- How Much Does Memory Care Cost In Arizona?
- Best Board Games For Seniors
- How Much Does Independent Senior Living Cost?
- Best TV Shows For Seniors With Alzheimers
- Books Popular With Seniors
- New Years Resolutions For Seniors
- Cost of Assisted Living in Phoenix Arizona
- Christmas Ideas In Assisted Living
- Great Jokes For Seniors
- Christmas Quotes For Seniors
- Birthday Quotes For Seniors
- National Senior Games Association
- New Grandparents Quotes
- Pets In Assisted Living
- Ten Fun Things To Do With Someone In Assisted Living
- Activities for Seniors
- Great Balance Exercises For Seniors
- What Are Some Benefits of Assisted Living?
- How To Find An Assisted Living Facility?
- How To Talk To A Parent With Dementia
- When Is the Right Time to Move From Assisted Living to Memory Care?
- Questions For Assisted Living Interviews
- Retirement Wishes for a Boss
- Funny Retirement Wishes For Coworkers & Colleagues
- Retirement Quotes, Wishes, Sayings
- Best Retirement Communities In Arizona 2018-2019
- Benefits Of Retiring In Arizona
- What is Independent Living?
- What Type Of Doctor Do I See For Memory Loss?
- Elderly Home Safety Checklist
- What To Do After Retirement | 19 Activities & Retirement Hobbies
- What’s The Best Way To Save For Retirement In Your 50s?
- Types Of Retirement Homes
- How To Move A Parent With Dementia To Assisted Living
- Best Retirement Communities For Active Adults
- Dealing With Aging Parents Depression
- Easy Crafts For Seniors With Dementia
- When Is It Time For Assisted Living?
- How Do You Talk To Someone With Dementia?
- Seven Stages Of Dementia
- Best Low Risk, High Return, Safe Investments For Seniors
- Do I Pay Taxes On Social Security After Age 66?
- Difference Between Assisted Living and Nursing Homes
- Do Seniors Pay Taxes On Social Security Income?
- Top 5 Retirement Communities in Arizona
- Funny Retirement Wishes For Colleagues
- Checklist For Assisted Living
Find Quality Assisted Living Care With SLS Communities
If you’re looking for the very best assisted living in Phoenix; SLS Communities can help! We have 5 locations in the Phoenix Valley that seniors and their families can choose from. With great amenities such as meticulously manicured landscaping, swimming pools, theater rooms, on-site salons, and much more! SLS Communities delivers today’s seniors the very best assisted living care services in the Phoenix, Arizona area.
Check out our locations below
For more information about assisted living and senior living services please call 480-348-0300.
6 thoughts on “7 Stages Of Lewy Body Dementia”